Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The First 24

Dear Cubby,
Has this been a crazy day or what?  While admittedly you're a whole lot easier to keep out of mischief than Sophie was, you're still into plenty of it.
Your arrival last night was purely joyous!  While I knew you'd turn our lives upside down for a while, there was nothing I was looking forward to more.  Time speeds by so quickly so, even if you turn out to be way more work than I bargained for, and I'm sure you will, before we know it all of this puppiness will be long behind us.
What bothers me a little is Sophie's reaction to having a new baby brother.  She seems annoyed whenever you try to warm up to her, and is totally out of character considering how she loves to socialize with other dogs.  Your breeder says that's normal, though, and Sophie will come around in a couple of weeks.  I hope so.  She has so much to teach you, and you'd do very well to learn from her.
The only one who was truly disgusted with your arrival was Sing Sing.  If looks could kill, we'd all be toast.  He checked you out, then disappeared into some remote corner of the house, and we've hardly seen hide nor hair of him since.  You'll get used to Sing Sing.  He's pretty much a permanent fixture around here.



You're just as taken with your new daddy as he is with you.  It sure isn't hard to see that you're going to be spoiled rotten, and I bet Daddy will be the one to spoil you most!  He surely does love you!  He has knocked himself out with puppy-proofing improvements over the past few weeks just to make our house and yard safe and comfy for you!  He didn't even so much as sigh when I told him you were already digging.
This morning I awoke to find out it had been four hours since you had been outside so I scurried to your crate only to find the door open and you gone!  Either you had opened the crate yourself or (most likely) I didn't latch it correctly.  An all-out search commenced but you pretty much ended it yourself.  Thank goodness you know your name and understand the command, "come."  You bounded out of the vicinity of my bedroom closet like you had been having a good ol' time in there.
Everything ran fairly smoothly until about 11:00 tonight when I decided you needed a bath.  For one thing, it would've been a lot more successful if we had used a bathtub instead of the bath table.  Heaven's sakes, haven't you ever had a bath before?  Several times I had to grab you to keep you from jumping.  Were you ever freaked out to the max!  But you seemed quite forgiving when I dried you off and wrapped you in a dog quilt and cuddled you for half an hour or so.  Now you're a sweet-smelling little puffball and I think you're pretty pleased with yourself too.
Then, to top off your first full day in our family, I stepped on you.  Oh my goodness, my heart was in my throat, especially when you pitifully held up your little paw and couldn't walk on it.  I don't know if it was my prayers over your paw or just that you were being a drama king, but all was well after a few minutes and your leg is just fine.
So now you're all sacked out in your crate.  Once more outside and maybe I can get a wink or two as well.  What does tomorrow hold?  Can't wait to find out!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to your new home. You will never have to worry if you are ever loved. Keep your eye on Sophie. She will teach you all her tricks...even the ornery ones. You will fit in fine at your new home. Sophie is not as fast as you are so just remember that. I would like to give a little advice if I can....Sing Sing is off limits. Trust me you will thank me for it later. I just know that you and Sophie will be best buds soon. Take care of my friend and try to behave. I know that baths aren't fun now but later they will never be able to keep you out of the water...LOL. I hope you enjoy your new family. They are wonderful people and well Sophie will wind up teaching you many things to help my friend Wendy. But as far as the cat...don't worry if Sing Sing doesn't become your best friend. :)

    Love you all and God Bless....Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable!!! I'm so very excited for you and Mike, too!!!

    Cubby is an awesome answer to prayer!!! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for the arrival of your new family member. Sophie will adjust, given a little time. However, you do have much work to be done, Oh those puppy days.
    Can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wendy, I am so happy for you. A new baby in the house; how great is that? I hope it all works out for all of you and the puppy doesn’t drive Sophie crazy. J Love you and we’ll talk more in person when we can. I am so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete